Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tales from Jew Camp: I Can't Keep My Promises

No doubt somebody on this vast World Wide Web has noticed that I have been a little late in posting. Nine weeks late, to be exact.

Long ago, I subscribed to the fantasy that, after working 24 hours a day for a week straight, I would have enough energy to write a lucid account of my experiences at Jew Camp. Just as foolishly, I promised that I would spend a half an hour of my precious time off sharing my stories when I wanted to be as far away from camp as possible, both physically and mentally. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

And it's sad that I didn't have the fortitude because this summer yielded tons of interesting tales. A short list:
  • Suicidal campers
  • My first encounter with Workman's Comp
  • Severe ankle injuries
  • Writing sermons
  • Budding rockstars in my bunk
  • Insights from a girls' camp
  • Tears, tears, tears
  • Harmonica jam sessions
  • Battles with the Red Cross
  • Israeli sob stories

It goes on.

Should I kick myself over this? Probably not. It's not like I can't write these entries at a later date when I invariably run out of ideas. Stories aren't like the milk that my brother leaves sitting out in the basement; they don't spoil. If anything, they get better. Entertaining embellishments cultivated from numerous tellings don't hurt in the least... might even yield some deep insights. Or not. Whatever.

So while I wasn't able to keep this promise, I'll venture another one: I will one day share all of my stories under the title "Tales from Jew Camp." I mean, eventually my friends are going to tire of my constant camp chatter and the Internet can't lock you in your closet to get away from your stories.

Thank goodness.

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment